Friday, March 9, 2007

They're dropping like flies...

So…it seems that many of my friends are in relationships. Some are falling in love, some are in the beginning stages of learning who the other person is, and others are finding their soul mates. It’s really all just a bunch of crap.

No…I’m not bitter and I’m not cynical.


Oh wait…yes I am.

It’s hard to be 26 and alone. My closest friends from high school are married with kids. My very best friend is dating the man of her dreams. I could see them jumping off the cliff into marriage before the end of the year. (Which leads to another thing…being a bridesmaid. Don’t get me started!! ☺) I’m always excited to be in weddings, and honestly…the wedding I am referring to is probably on the top of my list of things I’m excited about. It still doesn’t change the fact that I’m single. And from the looks of things…I probably will be for a while.

Please don’t hear me wrong. I don’t consider myself “shopping” for a boyfriend or a husband. I’m not desperate to grab the first guy that shows any hint of interest in me. I’m just a little anxious to know when and where I may meet the person God has for me. I trust that God is in control and I know that His timing will be perfect. But a part of me is starting to wonder. . . how long will I have to wait?

At the end of April I will be moving back on to live with my parents. Through different circumstances, I’ve decided that this will be the most logical place for now. I don’t think I could handle getting a new roommate. There’s really not any other options as far as that goes. And I would be able to save SO much money if I just stuck it out with mom and dad for a while. I don’t think it’s going to be hard to live at home. My parents are great and they have always allowed me to be independent. I don’t see that changing at all when I go back. But, after living on my own for 3 years, it’s going to be weird and will require an adjustment time.

All of this leads me to ponder a few things. I can’t help but think about these and I really think if I express them, then maybe I can get past them. (you’ll understand in a minute)

How long will I be at home with the folks? I think I could last a year. I would save a great deal of money and be able to establish myself financially. I need to think about a new car. I would love to be able to buy a house or condo at some point. But how long will that take.

When I do leave my parents’ house, will I still be single? That’s the thing that’s weighing heavy on my mind and heart. Will I move home, meet someone and then be able to start life fresh with that person? Or will the next step be on my own? I know that I’m totally thinking fast forward and of course so many other factors come in to play with that one. But I can’t help but wonder. I don’t want all of my friends to be married with teenagers before I can start a family of my own. I don’t want to miss out.

Looking back on the last couple of paragraphs, I realize that there’s a lot of I’s and me’s going on up there. I’m totally focusing on myself and what I don’t have. I am totally happy for those around me who are finding true love. It’s beautiful...absolutely beautiful.

And if I focus on what God wants for my life and if He has someone for me, it’ll be in His timing. Maybe I’m not who I’m supposed to be just yet or maybe the goober husband I’m going to marry isn’t there yet either. So…pray for him with me! ☺ Whoever he is! Hopefully...he'll be ready for me when I do finally meet him.


Lord, I know that you're not done with me yet. But if there's anything I can do to speed up the process...I'll trust you to lead me to obedience in that. Even if it means...I stay single.

2 comments:

Maris said...

Mel I love you and I love your honesty. Don't give up.... your McDreamy is coming for you! Just rest girly.

ginger said...

mel, you have no idea how much i needed to hear this today. right now. i am RIGHT THERE with you. my heart resonates with the words you have spoken... thanks for your honesty.

(and by the way, i am TOTALLY cheating... i'm not even supposed to be on blogger during lent! eek!)

i love you!