Tuesday, March 13, 2007

It's nice to overhear someone say something nice about you

I'm starting to realize that more and more I need encouragement from people. For my mental well being, I need to know that I'm needed or that I'm doing a good job. I am definitely my own worse critic and I can really beat myself up sometimes. Then there are days where I actually approve of myself.

Today is one of those days...

We had a company wide meeting this morning. Just a quick 15 minute meeting where my boss announced that he was hiring a new girl to come in as Director of Communications. I'm looking forward to having another woman in the office. This makes 3 out of 18. I'm surrounded by boys!!! AHHH!!! :) So in making the announcement, my boss just shared a couple of goals that he has for the new hire. He said he hopes that the decision to bring her on will be a good one and that she'll grow into the position. He then pointed out that he hopes she'll come in and do a "bang up" job, just as Melanie has done over the last couple of months.

WHAT!?!? WOW! As he said that, several of my co-workers shot big grins my way. Over the pasts couple of weeks, I thought I was doing an OK job and that the people in my office liked me and like what I brought to the team. And then for him to say that this morning...it's been a long time since I've been confirmed in such a way. So today, I feel good about myself...and I approve.

It's nice to overhear someone saying something nice about you; but it's even better when it's announced to your face! :)

Happy Tuesday!

No comments: