Thursday, May 17, 2007

May the Good Lord take a like'n to ya!

Is that how you spell like'n? Or is it liken? Or liking? Or licking? I don't know....

Regardless, a silly man said that to me on the street this week. I was walking down Broadway to run a quick errand and I heard a motorized chair come up behind me. I glanced back and there was this man with a floppy cowboy hat swerving up the sidewalk towards me.

I stepped to the side a little bit and he came up and stopped just next to me. I don't remember what he said exactly at first, but it made me smile. Something to do about the weather and the beautiful day. He threw in a couple of good ole southern cliches. "Like, if I was any better...I'd be twins." It was a brief encounter but one I will remember. As he drove his wheelchair away, he looked back over his should and with a toothless smile said, "May the Good Lord take a like'n to ya!" I smiled even more as I crossed the street.

Today, as I was walking out to go to lunch, I ran in to our mailman "Doc." Yep...that's his name. Or at least that's what everyone calls him. He's the sweetest, nicest mailperson I've ever met. He always has a moment to chat and is the typical southern gentleman. He's the type of guy you'd see walking door to door in a little country town delivering mail. It's great.

Anyways...today, he gets on the elevator as I am getting off the elevator. He had been off work for a couple of days, and I asked how his vacation was. You tend to notice when you don't see Doc's friendly face for a couple of days...so I assumed he was on vacation. The short version is that he helped move his grandfather in law to his in-laws house. So he was happy to be back to work. I laughed.

Then he said this. "You know what's the difference between in-laws and out-laws?" What? "Out-laws are 'wanted'!" :)

Yup...this is a random blog. I just wanted to share these little life moments. Maybe you can share the smile moments too.

2 comments:

ginger said...

mel... you have no idea how much i'd love to move back and be your roomie! we need to chat... maybe a phone coffee date? :)

Anonymous said...

I love melneyann.blogspot.com! Here I always find a lot of helpful information for myself. Thanks you for your work.
Webmaster of http://loveepicentre.com and http://movieszone.eu
Best regards